OpAPL

Feb 14, 2013




For many years I have put in computer time with SETI@Home and now Folding@Home. I have decided to create a Folding team of AnonFM friends and anyone else who wishes to help out. I am hoping to help bring this great project to the forefront of peoples minds and let them know there is ways they can help others without taking any time or money away from them. If you are on the internet then you have a computer unless you are using a smart phone or tablet. How about helping people out in your computers down time?  I have created a team on Folding@Home for AnonFM and other Anon called OpAPL. I have named it this because on Oct 17, 2011 I was diagnosed with Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia. This form of Leukemia is caused from the proteins in my body not behaving correctly and turning my blood into cancer cell instead of white and red blood cells and platelets. This is one of the things Folding@Home is researching.

What is Folding?

In your body, proteins are like worker ants. When something needs done the proteins will group together or "fold." Sometimes the proteins do not fold correctly and can cause many types of diseases including Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

What is Folding@Home?

Some of you may know what SETI@Home is. Folding@Home is the same idea. When you download a program from their website it will analyze information sent to you in "packets." When your computer is finished with a packet it will send the information back to the website and automatically get another packet. When using the Folding@Home program, the students and scientists at Stanford University will go over the packets to learn more about the process of folding. Hopefully they will learn ways to prevent misfolds or have a better understanding of the diseases misfolding can cause.

How do I help?

Go to their download page and get the program. Once it is downloaded and running you can right click the red cog on your toolbar and go to Configure. Once there you can enter a screen name you want to use and a team number. This OpAPL team number is 160138. Also in the configure you can set it to use so much memory.  Even running max you don't notice a difference when surfing the net or playing music/videos. So long as your computer is on and the program is running it will automatically process the data and send and receive new packets. My user name is Autumnn because that is my gamer name and I have been running this program for over 2 years. As of this posting I have ran over 230 packets. The only maintenance I have done with this program is making sure it starts up when I restart my computer. I never notice it running and it uses very little RAM 

I want to thank you so much for reading this. With my type of cancer there was no survival rate 30 years ago. Even 10 years ago there was only a 30% chance. Today with all the new research I have a 75-90% chance of staying in remission. I'm not asking for you to do any hard labor or to donate any money. Im just asking for a little bit of your computer CPU.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share